Sunday, May 22, 2016

Makeup for engineers

I’m in a phase currently of being interested in learning to use makeup. I’ve often been very frustrated with makeup instruction not being very clear in their explanations of why you’d do something. With the rise of YouTube, I’m told it’s much easier now to find information from people who are more similar to yourself, but I don’t really like watching videos. Fortunately, I have a friend who both looks and thinks similarly to me, so I’m documenting what I’m learning from her. I'd like to have a technical explanation of how makeup is deployed, free of confounding factors like poorly lit sad-face befores next to sunny afters.

Philosophically though, I do not believe that anyone “needs” makeup. You have an inherent worth and dignity that visual appearance doesn’t ever change. I’m interested in learning and presenting this information so that you have tools and understanding, but that is completely separate for whether you decide to use the knowledge. As my friend says, “Makeup is a subjective tool.”

No comments:

Post a Comment